The elegant Mansion House at Tatton Park sits in an elevated position, set amidst 50 acres of Tatton Park Gardens at the heart of 1.000 acres of landscaped parkland. The impressive portico of the South Front dominates the view of the house from the parkland.
From the turn of the 18th century The Egerton family made a home on the site. An earlier house was extensively re-modelled in the Neo-Classical style, between 1780 and 1813 by the architects Samuel Wyatt and Lewis William Wyatt. The rich furnishings of the Tatton Park Mansion and its important collection of paintings and books reflect the growing wealth and status of The Egerton family at the end of the 18th and 19th centuries. The Mansion houses one of the National Trust’s finest libraries and an outstanding collection of Gillow’s of Lancaster furniture. Tatton Park’s lively musical life during this period is highlighted in recent films and brought to life with the 1897 Ball story. The extensive array of domestic offices and servant’s quarters in the Mansion offers a complete view of life in days gone by.